POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chipped Marbles. (20K) : Chipped Marbles. (20K) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Chipped Marbles. (20K)
From: Duncan Gray
Date: 18 Feb 2001 15:32:47
Message: <3a90316f@news.povray.org>
My IRTC anim entry that have been doing my head in this week, so inspired by
David Fontaine's 'Orange Wedge' and Tor Olav Kristensen 'Bonds' and 'Other
Bonds'  I decided to take the weekend off animating, and render myself some
new marbles to replace those I'm loosing.

I'm trying to give the surface of the marble a well-used look, with varying
degrees of success. The marble on the left I like, but it's not quite
right - dunno why. The one on the right - though it looks wonderfully old,
doesn't look like it should be in one piece anymore. I'm trying to get
something between these two - cracks rather than dents, but not so badly
cracked that the whole surface is covered.

Any suggestions on how to improve the look ? Would I do better to create
myself some solid cracks, and CSG these out of the surface rather than
trying to do it with a normal ?

(N.B. Current normals (for 1 untit radius spheres) are:
Left_marble=normal {  crackle 1 poly_wave 3 normal_map {
        [ 0 crackle 0 poly_wave 3 ]
        [ .3 crackle 0 poly_wave 3 ]
        [ .3 crackle -1 poly_wave 3 ]
        [ 1 crackle -1 poly_wave 3 ]
      } scale .05  }

Right_marble=normal { crackle 1 normal_map {
        [ 0 crackle .5 ]
        [ .1 crackle .5 ]
        [ .1 crackle 0 ]
        [ 1 crackle 0 ]
      } scale .1 }
)

Render time 1hr 12mins on a PII 450 using POV-Ray 3.1g.
--
Duncan Gray
(warning: may contain traces of nut)

Post a reply to this message