POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : megapov bug : Re: megapov bug Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: megapov bug
From: Scott Hill
Date: 13 Feb 2001 12:18:41
Message: <3a896c71@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:11:18 -0000, Scott Hill wrote:
> >    BTW, why did you say "Only the iostreams should be used" ? As I
> >understand it, they're the least supported part of the STL.
>
> Because they've been successfully encapsulated in a suitably
cross-platform
> way in the current source.

    Cool.

Actually....
    <rant on> Having thought on this a little - stuff like this really
annoys me - standards committees are meant to reach an agreement about what
the standard means, not keep changing there minds, dev tools developers
should stop arsing about (though as I said - it's hardly their fault with
moving targets an' all that jazz) and only release complete libraries that,
at the minimum, comply to _some sort of standard_ and we programmers should
all stop just taking all this shit lying down - we bitch and moan privately
about the shit standards, buggy dev tools, moving targets and the like but
bugger all get's done - it's about time we used some of the power we have -
without any programmers doing any actual development on a platform, that
platform will die - we have the ultimate power to decide what makes it and
what doesn't - we should exercise it and stop putting up with this shit -
after all, it's us that get's the blame in the end - Project behind schedule
? That'll be the lazy developers. Bloaty code ? That'll be the lazy
developers. Bug-ridden shit ? That'll be the lazy programmers. Trouble is
sometimes you only get shit to work with and no matter how well you sculpt
it, shit is shit. <rant off>

--
Scott Hill.
NC Graphics (Cambridge) Ltd.