POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What du you think about my masonry? (jpg 51,3 kbbu) : Re: What du you think about my masonry? (jpg 51,3 kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What du you think about my masonry? (jpg 51,3 kbbu)
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 12 Feb 2001 05:37:46
Message: <3a87bcfa@news.povray.org>
Richard Morton schrieb in Nachricht <3a87b021$1@news.povray.org>...
>Very impressive.The texture looks just fine to me.

Thanks. I tend to think that bricks have no solid colour over the whole
side. OTOH it seems to greatly depend on the age of the bricks. Older ones
get more colourfull? Perhaps it's just that they had not that pure material
some decades ago.

>Only questions would be :
>1) It looks like a depth of four bricks (on the top) - if so, they wouldn't
>be laid in line like that and each brick should be deeper (in proportion to
>the length).

Yes, 4 rows. I agree, that they shold not be in lines. But since I'm still
using the brick pattern, that's what it gives me. I tried to warp the
pattern half a brick, but that did not work as expected, so I didn't follow
that path any further. Probably I had just to translate the pattern first
... perhaps I'll try again.
You think the proportions are not right? It's the default size 8 to 3  to
4.5 units (with mortar 0.5 units). I noticed, that there are differend sizes
out there (at least in older buildings. Which is the most commonly used
ratio?

>2) The tops look too bumpy compared to real bricks, perhaps they just need
>an indentation like you get in some bricks.

What would that indentation look like? I allready reduced the influence of
the granite-pattern a lot. The posted image was made with an orthographic
camera and a shadowless light source. This way it is hard to see, that the
bricks are that bumpy at all sides.

>3) How about a proper bricklaying pattern e.g. Flemish Bond.

I must admit, I don't know any. But since it could be worth to build another
brick-pattern for isosurfaces, it may be possible to realise differend
patterns. I don't like the idea to position some hundreds of
isosurface-bricks in a box of iso-mortar ( I just can't get these things
right), so I would need a proper pattern to do so.

>4) Mortar looks a bit grey and shiny to me (like chewing gum).

I changed it already, if it's better now, I don't know. At least it's
different now :-)

Thanks for the suggestions,

Marc-Hendrik