POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help, Height Field visual error? : Re: Help, Height Field visual error? Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help, Height Field visual error?
From: David Whatley
Date: 9 Feb 2001 02:51:10
Message: <3a83a16e@news.povray.org>
"Mick Hazelgrove" <mic### [at] mhazelgrovefsnetcouk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have found that in addition to Ken's suggestion, adding a normal will
> solve the problem.
>
> Mick

I'm sorry, my limited experience with POV must be showing.  I was under the
impression that there were normals on the resulting mesh.  If not, it would
not generate any of it accurate, right?   What would the syntax be for
adding a normal?

For reference, here is the code and I've attached a more pathological
example:

#include "colors.inc"
  camera{
    location <-.7, 1, -7>
    look_at 0
    angle 45
  }

light_source{ <1000,1000,-1000> White 1.5 }

background {color <0.2,0.25,0.42>}

height_field
{
  png  "devils_tower_WY.png"
  smooth
  translate <-.5, 0, -.5>

  scale <15,1,15>

  pigment { White }
}

I've highlighted one of the areas with a red circle just to be clear (though
I don't believe it's not visible).  As you can see the terrain is properly
rendered except for these odd quad patches that have, what appears to be, an
incorrect normal.  Around it, though, are finely detailed hill slopes that
are fine in all respects.  What I don't it is... if I'm doing something
wrong here, why isn't it uniformly wrong?

Thanks for helping with this everyone. :)

David Whatley
dw### [at] playnet

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: