POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Object oriented POV scene language? : Re: Object oriented POV scene language? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object oriented POV scene language?
From: OpenMined
Date: 8 Feb 2001 17:06:23
Message: <3a83185f@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:11:17 -0800, OpenMined wrote:
> >Yes, a lame or maladjusted word processor might break code.   Just as
that
> >infernal LF-CR or CR-LF ordering which regularly rears its little ugly
head
> >in programming text widgets. But you will SURELY notice, eventually, and
> >take the necessary steps to insure that your tools behave as needed.
>
> The problem is that "eventually" part.  I'd rather not notice it after the
> code has been sent to production.  And while it's fine to say "don't do
that,
> then" it's a lot harder to say that to an entire team of programmers plus
an
> assortment of random contractors.

I understand the nature of the difficulty of working with existing code and
an existing assortment of trained (read 'ingrained habits') programmers.  A
paradigm shift (or even a modest change) in those circusmstances is often
nearly impossible.

But your objections are EXACTLY those which were genuinely expressed when
the world was urged to move from spaghetti code to structured code,  and
from the structured-linear model to the object-oriented model.  Yes, a
change in methods is not without its difficulties in the SHORT term-- and
probably should NOT be attempted mid-project.

(I will have to say, however, that to "notice it after the code has been
sent to production" would suggest a breakdown in- or absense of- adequate
testing protocols.  In my view, any programmer which creates/modifies code
without creating/using in parallel an exhaustive every-state module testing
regime- as much or more work than writing the original code- simply has not
finished the job.)

So, when I speak favorably of Python's use of white space- a concept I would
enjoy seeing extended, as mentioned- I am thinking in terms of new projects,
with programmers who have fully adapted to the needs of the programming
environment, and with a project for which the ongoing needs are as important
as the need to get it done and out quickly.

In these contexts, using white space and enforced commenting will, I
believe, eventually be seen as a scientific, legal and commercial necessity,
simply GOOD programming practice, not just as an arcane preference.

___