POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where is my object? : Where is my object? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Where is my object?
From: Spock
Date: 8 Feb 2001 16:21:06
Message: <3a830dc2$1@news.povray.org>
I have been working on a macro to connect any two points with a flexible
hose... just high school trig but I am happy with it.

Now that it works I want to connect a couple of objects in my scene... but I
don't know where they are.  Since the objects can move around in the scene
in a variety of ways it is not really practical to work out the various
transformations and try to compute the object location.

I found the min_extent patch in MegaPOV, but I'm not exactly sure how to use
it (or if it is appropriate) for objects that undergo multiple
transformations.  In particular I would like to attach my hose to a specific
point on the surface of my object, so this isn't exactly right.

To pinpoint the exact location I added a small object to the union that
makes up my big object, and it moves in accordance with the transformations
applied to the union.  But how do I find out where it ended up?  Any
thoughts?