POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What du you think about my masonry? (jpg 51,3 kbbu) : Re: What du you think about my masonry? (jpg 51,3 kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What du you think about my masonry? (jpg 51,3 kbbu)
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 8 Feb 2001 15:29:43
Message: <3a8301b7@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann schrieb in Nachricht <3A82FCC0.811759F2@gmx.de>...
>It looks nice, but the brick pattern, like other color list patterns, is
>not well suited for isosurfaces because of the infinite gradient problem.

Yes, that's what I wanted to try and tried to avoid - by adding a granite
pigment, I reduced the gradient to something like 22.

>I think one could make a special continuous isosurface function similar to
>the brick pattern to avoid this.

Perhaps I'll try that anyways, since I don't like that the brickpattern does
not alter in the z direction. I mean, those bricks are straight behind each
other, which is not, what I expect (but I don't know if they do it this way
in RL). OTOH I could achieve that with a repeat-warp with an offset, I
think.

>The mortar looks a bit too 'glowing' maybe reduce the ambient component.

Oops, thank you! I thought I had set the global ambient-value to 0 as usual,
but it wasn't. Hm, doesn't help that much, I'll have to lower the brightness
of the color a bit.

>BTW, what exactly is Jeff Lee's technique?

He takes a bozo-pattern and repeats and "offset"s to fit on the bricks. But
I just saw, that Ken allready posted the link to the tutorial ...

Marc-Hendrik