POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Glow Tutorial? : Re: Glow Tutorial? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glow Tutorial?
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 5 Feb 2001 12:55:28
Message: <3a7ee90f@news.povray.org>

> Geoff Wedig wrote:
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be anything on glows in the Megapov docs.  Anyone know
>> where I can find a tutorial?  I've got the options from various examples,
>> but I don't know what the various parameters do, and experimenting with
>> types and the like has be less than illuminating (no pun intended, really)

> I have some sample pictures on:

> http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/pov/glow.html

> but i don't know if they are useful.

They are, but only from an intuitive sense.  It seems that type 1 has a
double boundary, for lack of a better word, which is to say there is a white
area, then a colored then it drops sharply as it fades out.  T0 has a white
boundary, but fades out much more smoothly from there.  Size affects how big
and bright, radius cuts off the glow effect after a distance, and fade power
changes the sharpness of the drop off.  That's basically all I needed to
know.

>> Also, do glows interact with other objects?  When I placed a glow in a hole
>> in one object, I got glow effects on the outside of the object.  Is that
>> supposed to happen?
>>

> Yes, but using additional parameters like size and fade_power sometimes
> also leads to wrong interactions.  This is a known problem.

Drat.  I was afraid of that.  Can you size the glow by intensifying the
color, then, or would that not work?

Geoff