POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Twisted Chevy : Twisted Chevy Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  Twisted Chevy
From: Rune
Date: 4 Feb 2001 08:34:20
Message: <3a7d5a5c@news.povray.org>
Here's some experiments with meshes deformed in standard MegaPov using a
POV-script to move vertices and change normals.

When looking at the render times below, note that I'm using an old Pentium
150 with 16 MB RAM.

For both image 1 and 2 the parse time was about 10 min. and the peak memory
was about 9 MB.
For image 1 (grey pigment) the trace time was about 7 min. making a total
render time of about 17 min. For image 2 the trace time was about 15 min.
making the total render time about 25 min.

These results can be compared to the results produced by ABX's patch shown
at the end of the thread "beauty of twisted rays". I don't know which
computer he's using though.

Note though that for these images the textures were not deformed together
with the meshes. Deformed textures would with my method most likely increase
the memory use a lot and the parse time too. However, if/when the UV-vectors
in the mesh2 feature in MegaPov are changed to support 3D vectors, texture
deformation can be done without considerable increase in memory and render
time.

Comments?

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 28)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'chevy1.jpg' (26 KB) Download 'chevy2.jpg' (34 KB)

Preview of image 'chevy1.jpg'
chevy1.jpg

Preview of image 'chevy2.jpg'
chevy2.jpg