POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: povray and depth of field : Re: povray and depth of field Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray and depth of field
From: Bob H
Date: 3 Feb 2001 06:02:29
Message: <3a7be545$1@news.povray.org>
"Maan M. Hamze" <mmh### [at] pleiadesnet> wrote in message
> Maybe I can come up with a correlation between f-stops and Aperture.  The
> f-stops are related mainly to control of depth of field.  Where one area is
> in focus with the background and foreground thrown out of focus.  Mainly if
> you focus on a point, one third of the line in front of the point and two
> thirds of it behind the point will be in focus (the line being the total
> line in focus or the depth of field).

Thing is I don't believe POV-Ray can focus on a range of distance and leave the
rest out of focus.  I was going to mention that before but it's only my
observation from past experience and not knowledge of the way POV works.
Seems only the one plane, perpendicular to the camera to focal point line, is
ever truly focused and all other distances are out of focus no matter how near
to the focal plane and how small an aperture (of the POV kind).
I take a lot of photographs but I don't know the science behind the photography
as much as I'd like to.  Seems obvious though that a photo will have a range of
focus whereas in POV it will not.
Am I right? Anyone think the same thing?

Bob H.