POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Rendering Objects In gray scale : Re: Rendering Objects In gray scale Server Time
3 May 2024 05:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering Objects In gray scale
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Feb 2001 00:05:07
Message: <3a7a4003$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3a79bfd3@news.povray.org> , "Pablo Viojo" <pvi### [at] adinetcomuy>
wrote:

> If anyone could tell me something about this...

There should be no problem.  Adding or removing fields there will just
change a few structures, so there won't be any problems caused by this.  You
should note that the access violation is obviously a corrupted pointer and
caused by using it, not by the memory offset into the structure.  You will
not always get a access violation if you just read or write memory somewhere
except outside the virtual memory space of your program, and C0000005 looks
like some other data or an unititialised pointer.  Whatever it is, just use
your debugger to find out where that pointer is coming from.

Not related to this, but I think you should be aware of this: Adding object
fields for flags is not a good idea because it will waste a lot of memory
because the field (most likely padded in memory to make the whole structure
fill up to a 4 byte boundry) will be added to every object.  You better use
the "Flags" field for this, there should be a few bits left in there.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.