POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Creating GIFs with Linux/Unix : Re: Creating GIFs with Linux/Unix Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating GIFs with Linux/Unix
From: OpenMined
Date: 1 Feb 2001 15:02:24
Message: <3a79c0d0@news.povray.org>
Have to disagree with you on principle, Alessandro.

Mobsters and other extortionists/thieves take property to which they have no
moral claim, i.e., they did not PRODUCE it nor did the PURCHASE it.  They
simply take it by the use of illegitimate force.

Patents (properly implemented by governments) are a recognition of the moral
right to benefit from one's intellectual work without the benefits simply
being taken by those who want it for free.   Let those who are against ALL
software patents (non-trivial and nonobvious included) ask themselves why
they would not extend that principle to food, clothing, entertainment and
art, automobiles.

Those who reply that they WOULD, who fail to recognize the morality of
proprietary rights, are simply advocating that "society" become the
mobsters, with each of us becoming a slave to the "greater" whole.

I will not defend Unisys' questionable implementation of their proprietary
rights, but I will defend their rights and the principle of the right of
people and groups to the fruits of their labors.

Let those who want "free" or "open" software PRODUCE it themselves and give
it away.  There is a nobility in contributing and cooperating.   But one
often encounters a self-righteousness in those who do, an impugning of the
ethics of those who believe in property rights.  (Read Richard Stallman's
statements on these issues.)

I apologize to povray.unix for digressing onto a philosophical issue.  I am
in the formative stages of an essay on this subject, and were it finished
would have simply posted the link.   But on some issues silence is not an
option.

___

Alessandro Coppo <a.c### [at] iolit> wrote in message
> A few dollars? maybe a few thousands of dollars (5000$ to my knowledge)!
If