POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Rendering Objects In gray scale : Re: Rendering Objects In gray scale Server Time
3 May 2024 01:44:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering Objects In gray scale
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 1 Feb 2001 11:24:46
Message: <3a798dce@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <3A796E40.BBA1631E@pacbell.net>...
> Warp wrote:
> > Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> > : You can get the effect making the *object* gray using "rgb x".
> >   You mean "rgb 1"?
> That would be white. Thosrten meant "rgb x" as in choose a number
> between 0 - .99 which will give you shades of gray.

I think problem posted at begining of this thread was not resolved.
As I understand question (I'm poor in english) problem was how achive final
color as grey. That is complicated. Even if pigment{color rgb N}} specify gray
there is reflection, refraction, color of light_sources, radiosity - and Pablo
Viojo want it all converted to grey in part of image for objects with flag
GRAY=TRUE. I think we don't need recompile for this. All what we need is two
renderings - first normal and second with cartoonish style without AA - than (in
image manipulating program) create mask from second and apply greyscale on first
with this mask. Such effect (but inversed) is often used on movies. Whole scene
is in greyscale and one object is colorized.
I hope it was understable with my english.

ABX