POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tesselation patch v. 0.1alpha : Re: Tesselation patch v. 0.1alpha Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:12:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselation patch v. 0.1alpha
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 31 Jan 2001 13:50:03
Message: <3a785e5a@news.povray.org>

> Geoff Wedig wrote:
>>
>> This may be the solution I'm looking for.  Has anyone compiled this for Win
>> platforms that I can get it?  I could go and compile Megapov myself, but I'm
>> lazy.
>>
>> Right now, I'm trying to create a mesh of an object's surface, but only when
>> viewed from a certain angle (the triangles that would be visible using an
>> orthographic camera).  I figure I can use the tesselation patch and
>> only keep those triangles that have normals pointing in that direction (or
>> partially in that direction).  Is there a better way than that?

> Yes, use the megapov 'depth' post processing function and use the
> resulting file as a heightfield.

Since I'm doing this for *lots* of objects, in a single scene, that's not a
viable solution.  Far too many height fields, and too much work to generate
lots of images and trying to get them all back where they're supposed to in
the final image.

I currently have a macro that drops points into the object in a grid and
produces a mesh that way, but for a variety of reasons, I find it to be
inadequate (not the least of which it's *very* slow)

>> Anyway, does anyone have the binary files available for me to play with?

> I compiled it with cygwin, but i did not put it on my website, if you
> really want it i can send it.

Yes, I'd like that.  Be very useful to compare, even if it does drop the
occasional triangle.

Geoff