POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shelf Scene : Re: Shelf Scene Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shelf Scene
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 29 Jan 2001 07:25:12
Message: <3a756128@news.povray.org>
Hi!

Nice concept, although there is still a lot of work to do.

For the flame I used once the following code and it worked quite well (even
if the shape and mapping itself is quite simple):
#declare Flamme =
difference{
 sphere{0, 0.5}
 sphere{<0, -0.3, 0>, 0.35}
 hollow
 pigment{ rgbt 1}
 interior{ media{ emission rgbf <3*2, 1.85*2, 0.1*2, 0.2>
    density{ cylindrical color_map{
       [0.3 rgb <1,1,0.5>]
       [1 rgb <0.2, 0.2, 4>]}
       turbulence 0.15}
       }
           media{ absorption rgbf (1-<3, 1.85, 0.1, 0.2>)
    density{ cylindrical color_map{
       [0.3 rgb <1,1,0.5>]
       [1 rgb <0.2, 0.2, 4>]}
       turbulence 0.15}
       }
    }
 scale<.7, 2.5, .7>
 scale 2
 }

You have to use two different media-statements to get the absorption right
and the high intensity of the media is important too IIRC, but I don't know
that for sure.
I think, the light_source in the candle has not the right colour and
intensity. And as you use Megapov  already apply "orient" to it (if you
don't have it already). Perhaps that will reduce the visible banding in the
cross' shadow. If you use a larger area for the area_light, you could let
the banding work for you since a candle flame is almost never at the same
position. Perhaps it'll look like same motion in it.

I would try to scale down the wood_pigment, the way it is now it looks like
everything is quite small. In addition, reduce the depth of the carvings in
the shelf itself.

Are those straight lines on the wall meant to be mortar? I hope that's not
the case but they are part of a bigger structure :-).
I would give the cross something to hold it upright. That tiny rounded piece
of wood seems not to be enough. Or is there an invisible support behind the
cross?

I like your wall's structure. Is it just an Iso with a granite pigment
function scaled down or something else?

I'm looking forward for the rest of your scene. The mood is already quite
nice.

Marc-Hendrik