POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The cradle : The cradle Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  The cradle
From: Mick Hazelgrove
Date: 26 Jan 2001 11:51:53
Message: <3a71ab29@news.povray.org>
Hi All

I've had to learn so much to make this picture but before I say more, I'd
like to explain the picture.

There is a deserted village on an N.Wales beach that can't be reached by
road. I discovered it many years ago, in my rock climbing days, whilst
looking for new crags to climb on. It is on a beach of huge egg shaped
stones. On this beach are the remains of a wrecked boat. On one of my visits
I found a rock delicately poised on a tangle of rusted beams. I made several
drawings but never got round to painting it. Whilst looking through my
sketchbooks for something to inspire an entry for the worship round of the
IRTC I came across one of those drawings.

This was originally intended as an entry but it's far too obscure, off topic
and I haven't managed to get the gulls posed expressively enough.

The gulls were modelled in Hamapatch and UV mapped with the help of UV
mapper and Thomas Baier's excellent 3Dwin4. I've since managed to discover
how the wings actually fold onto the back but so far haven't been able to
improve on them.

The rusty girder was made from extruded splines modelled in anim8or, a
brilliant and free 3ds modeller. The model was imported into ppmodeller and
the mesh distorted and subdivided. The eggs and rocks were made in a similar
way.

This is the first time I've really had a go at using radiosity in an outdoor
scene. The settings are fairly standard. I had to play with diffuse and
ambient to get the right balance of tone and radiosity. One light was used
for the sea, there are two discs either side of the egg one very bright pale
yellow (ambient 10) and one dark purple one for the shadows (ambient.1). One
of the problems with radiosity in an outdoor scene is that the skysphere
colour dominates the colour of the scene, so I added the two disc to create
highlights and shadows.

Mick

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: