POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The dancing cur (89,6 kbbu) : Re: The dancing cur (89,6 kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The dancing cur (89,6 kbbu)
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 26 Jan 2001 08:37:02
Message: <3a717d7e@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann schrieb in Nachricht <3A7173B4.FC5D67F5@gmx.de>...

>It looks nice, but awfully slow...

Thanks and yes. The big media-box  takes most of the time. Without media and
Antialiasing it renders in about 45 min.

>The wall parts between the wood should IMO have a different kind of
>roughness, some base level where the irregular structures are 'carved in'
>would be better.

Well, I would imagine, that is the way concrete walls are. Since the loam is
thrown on the wicker-work, I think the outstanding irregularities are not
totally wrong. OTOH I have seen and lifed in so many differend houses of
that kind, that I think somewhere you can find about every wall you ever
want :-) But most important was, that it was really easy to achieve - just a
granite pigment with the colour_map a bit 'flattend' on a box.

>The wood looks neat, do you care to share the functions? I'm always
>searching for new ideas for isosurface wood :-)

It is stolen from the standard woods.inc :-) Something like this:

#declare WoodFun2=
function{ pigment{ P_WoodGrain8A
       color_map{
         [0 rgb 0]
         [1 rgb 1]
       }
    scale 0.2    rotate y*94     translate y*0.1
    }
}

#declare WoodFun3=
function{pigment{P_WoodGrain8B
       color_map{
         [0 rgb 0]
         [1 rgb 1]
       }
    scale 0.2    rotate y*94    translate y*0.1
    }
}

#declare Balken =
   isosurface {
        function { RBox
(x,y+noise3d(x,y/2,z)/30+noise3d(x,y/4,z)/40,z+noise3d(x,y,z/2)/40)
// Rounded Box
                   -0.005*WoodFun2(x,y,z)     // Holz
                   -0.005*WoodFun3(x,y,z)
                  }
        method 2
        max_gradient 2
        accuracy 0.01
        contained_by{box {<-1.1,-0.15,-2.5>,<1.1,0.15,0.25>}}
        texture{T_Wood8 scale 0.2 rotate y*94 translate y*0.1}

    }

The scaling and the rotation made it look good. And as you can see, I added
some irregularities to tha rounded box, which makes the beams a bit
difficult to position (cause they are somewhat curved) but more realistic
IMO.

Marc-Hendrik