POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Torus Torture : Re: Torus Torture Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Torus Torture
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 24 Jan 2001 13:11:22
Message: <3a6f1aca@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote in message <3a6dde1c$1@news.povray.org>...
> I have the input normal vector iN. Then I find 4 vectors perpendicular to
> it. Those are tangents. Let's call them iT1, iT2, iT3 and iT4. These all lie
> in the plane perpendicular to the input normal vector. Then I apply the
> deformation to the 4 tangents, and I get the deformed tangents dT1, dT2,
> dT3, dT4.

what about deformations where deformation not exist along four directions but
beetween them ?
I think that number of vectors/tangents should be customizable.

> These "describe" the deformed plane.

are you sure ?
if I understand in your method accuracy of this plane depends of length of your
vectors/tangents and I think this length should be also customizable

> To get the deformed normal I
> find the vector that is perpendicular to the 4 deformed tangent vectors. And
> yes, I average the tangent vectors 2 and 2 first. But they are tangents, not
> normals, so I don't average any normals.

My old method (currently I use exact method served me by Jerome Berger in p.u.p)
was something like finding smoth normals for vertices of not smoothed mesh. I
think it has the same accuracy level like your method but was more customizable.

ABX