POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) : Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:29:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1)
From: Bob H
Date: 22 Jan 2001 03:48:15
Message: <3a6bf3cf$1@news.povray.org>
I get the idea much better having a fresh think on it.  Thanks for the
explanations.

"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
> In article <3a6b6f16@news.povray.org>, "Jan Walzer" <jan### [at] lzernet>
> wrote:
>
> > Would you also be able (for some nice fx) to apply it as a normal-map ???
> > or "something like" a slope-map ???
> > so that I can color the pigment in another way than in the original scene
> > ???
>
> This really has nothing to do with normals, it is a pigment...

I see now what you meant before.  The portal gets applied in a way just as
pigments get applied so that even though it's a copied and pasted portion of
the original scene it's not exactly a re-raytraced portion.  That is, it's
essentially a 2D representation placed based on where the portal view is and
where it exists.
Guess I'm getting closer to the idea there.  Perhaps.

I'm supposing Jan's questions are moot points if the portal "pigment" is only
that, a pigment.  It would take storing a prerendering of just the portal and
reapplication of it in a different form to do those kinds of things.  Unless
I'm way off about the way it works as of now.

Bob H.