POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Asteroid collides with planets ring [~55K mpg] : Re: Asteroid collides with planets ring [~55K mpg] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid collides with planets ring [~55K mpg]
From: Bob H
Date: 21 Jan 2001 16:05:27
Message: <3a6b4f17@news.povray.org>
"Rick [Kitty5]" <ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote in message

>  i think you could do it with a csg'ing and invisable cone that follows the
> rock, and cuts a hole in the planet ring
>
> then by using an 'inner ring' that is not usied in the csg, prevent the hole
> becomming a solid cut-out

That might eventually be what I'll do, in part anyway.
I had tried a rescaled asteroid as the cutaway and it just wasn't looking
right, mostly because of the fouled up way I put this thing together.  Plenty
of rotates and translates going on.  I should be able to get it better.
A cone sounds very easy, think I'll try that for now.  The secondary ring idea
is good but I was thinking more along the lines of a warp turbulence in the
main media to go with the cutaway originally.
The fiery plume I want to add is also giving me trouble, both in implementation
and in (artists) conception.  :-)

Bob H.