POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : January 20-21 Eclipse (393KB before attach) : OT: January 20-21 Eclipse Server Time
21 Jul 2024 03:28:25 EDT (-0400)
  OT: January 20-21 Eclipse
From: Jonathan Hunt
Date: 21 Jan 2001 12:21:25
Message: <3a6b1a95$1@news.povray.org>
"Bob H." wrote in message news:3a637469@news.povray.org...
> Incredible!  On the small side and somewhat fuzzy but I can't
> recall having ever seen such a good animation like that before.

Thanks!  Glad you like it :-)

> Did the sky haze over or did the camera focus change?  It
> starts clear but soon remains at a soft focus I guess.

It turns fuzzy during totality because I had to change the
exposure of the camera from 1/250 second to an 4 second
exposure to pick up enough detail.

> Was this done using a video camera tracking piggy back
> on a telescope?

No, it was done using a Nikon Coolpix 950 digital still camera.
I took one photo every few mins over the entire three hours of
the eclipse.

I didn't use a telescope...  Just the standard lens, i.e. not a
telephoto lens, and used a tripod to keep the camera steady
during the 4 second exposures.  I didn't worry about the
positioning of the camera too much, as I aligned all the
pictures so that the moon was in the centre by hand in photoshop
afterwards.

> I missed the latest solar eclipse here and wished I hadn't, Sun
> was 3/4 eclipsed.  Speaking of the sun I liked your sunset
> render too.

Thanks, that's the render I'm most proud of so far too :)

All the best,

--
Jonathan Hunt
http://www.xlcus.co.uk/povray/