POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
3 Sep 2024 06:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Rune
Date: 21 Jan 2001 06:00:19
Message: <3a6ac143@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> My reasoning was that identifiers are only added to the with
> #declare, #local, #macro...and that there wasn't a good
> reason to change that.
> I would prefer the syntax that treats each world like an object.

Normally when something #declared is called, a copy of it is created. For a
world that would use way to much memory. Some other approach should be
found.

Once a world is created I think it should indeed "exist" (though not
necessarily visibly), and not just be waiting to be called.

> Also, the "keyword {IDENTIFIER" syntax is used in POV
> already, for creating a copy of something already defined
> Maybe each world would be limited to a separate file, and
> imported like this:
> #world WorldIdentifier "worldFile.pov"

I see the point although I'd prefer a solution where a world didn't have to
be in a separate file. Currently no features in POV-Ray *require* separate
files (except images etc.). Include files are optional and never required.

#world (WorldIdentifier)
   ...anything goes here...
#end

How about this?
It could also be used like:

#world (WorldIdentifier)
   #include "worldfile.pov"
#end

> PS: "world" or "universe"? The latter seems more specific,
> but the first is shorter...

I think "universe" is too specific, at least the scientific sense of the
word. The feature would probably often be used just to make different "sets"
"stages" or "scenes". Actually I think "scene" would be better than both
"world" and "universe" if it wasn't for the fact that POV-Ray files are
often referred to as "scene-files" which would cause confusion...

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org