POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
3 Sep 2024 06:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Rune
Date: 20 Jan 2001 16:28:07
Message: <3a6a02e7@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> I briefly considered this exact feature

Hmm...

> but there is no way I could do it. Maybe when POV 4.0 is
> available, and the source code is fully object-oriented

I expected that.

> Or a pigment map of several portal_pigments, and use the
> function pattern to change portals...(just use a single
> value as the function, it would act like the "solid" pattern)

I like our mutual understanding... :)

> The syntax would be pretty easy though...just something like
> the camera: the last world defined is the one that gets used,
> and you would be able to #declare them to allow you to refer
> to them from other worlds.

I don't think it makes sense to declare a world. I would rather just assign
each world an ID.
Maybe like:

world {
   WORLD_ID
   ...anything inside the world goes here...
}

Later you could add more things to the same world by using the ID of an
already existing world:
world {
   WORLD_ID
   ...add more things to the same world...
}

I envision the cameras being the keys to the worlds. Multiple cameras could
be located in each world, and each camera would have an ID.

world {
   WORLD_ID
   camera {CAMERA_ID ...}
   camera {CAMERA_ID ...}
}

Lastly you would define which camera to use as the active one. I don't know
how this would be done, maybe:

global_settings { camera CAMERA_ID }

The world in which the active camera is located is the active world. Default
would be to use the last defined camera.

For all portals you could specify which world should be the "target" for the
portal. If nothing is specified the current world would be default. (Where
"current" means the world in which the portal is located.)

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org