POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Torus Torture : Re: Torus Torture Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Torus Torture
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 19 Jan 2001 04:31:46
Message: <3a680982@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote in message <3a6746fe@news.povray.org>...
> "Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba" wrote:
> > I plan to mix [the deform patch] with tessalation patch
> > and allow one directional deformations for meshes and
> > bidirectional for other objects
>
> That's interesting. The mesh deformation would be handled in a *completely*
> different way than for other objects, right?

deformation applied to mesh copy array of recalculated vertex to another memory
location or aplies function to vertex during tracing - first solution: slow
parsing and memory wasting but fast rendering, second solution: fast parsing and
memory saving but slow tracing - this could be parametrized

> > > Doesn't this slow down the rendering?
> >
> > a little
>
> > my parsing time is not changed
>
> But for deformed meshes the parsing time would increase and rendering time
 >would be unchanged, like with my macro, I think.

but pach is faster than macro
and I think this is good usage patch solution instead of macro solutions

> I'm sure a mesh deforming patch would be much quicker than my mesh deforming
> macro. It's just that nobody has made such a patch *yet*...

but you are not first how think of it
I'm not first neither.
I have read nearly whole pov-ray news and I meet such propositions many times.
But not everyone has such programing skills.

> Also, my macro gives the user full control over the deformation. How would
> the user control the deformation in your patch? (I mean the deformations for
> meshes.)

I'm waiting with user control deformations for release 3.5 becouse I plan use
functions but want patch them first (if pov-team doasn't) to pass more
parameters. Functions stuff is so complicated and I don't want duplicate such
complicated work.

ABX