POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Torus Torture : Re: Torus Torture Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Torus Torture
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 18 Jan 2001 12:58:52
Message: <3a672edc@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote in message <3a671821@news.povray.org>...
> > fine. looking at your example I have a question
> > is there any difference beetween this result and
> > results of my deform patch presented in p.b.i
> > during last month ?
>
> Last I heard, your deform patch could do reversible deformations only.

yes, it is the worst thing in it :-(
it is price of working with all object types
but I plan to mix it with tessalation patch and allow
one directional deformations for meshes
and bidirectional for other objects

> With my method any deformation can be done.

congratulations

> > as long as you work on mesh this is faceted but my
> > patch work fine with *any* object
>
> Doesn't this slow down the rendering?

a little, but only traced points are calculated
imagine zooming on object
when it is small for camera it don't need deform all vertices
and when you deform{csg{}} boundings remove not necessary rays
perhaps I'm talking little hermetic becouse onfortunatly only me know my patch
:(

> My method does not slow down the rendering at all. The parsing is a bit slow
> though.

my parsing time is not changed and rendering time depends of area on image (you
know - boundings)

> > I'll make animated example for you perhaps there
> > should be speed comparison mesh->mezz->rendering will
> > win but perhaps deform->teselation->rendering could be
> > more accurate
>
> My method produces results as accurate as the input mesh is.

but more accuracy -> more vertices -> more parse time, right ?

ABX