POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Seems that the tesselation patch died before even being born : Re: Seems that the tesselation patch died before even being born Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seems that the tesselation patch died before even being born
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 18 Jan 2001 05:58:05
Message: <3a66cc3d$1@news.povray.org>

> > and change Parse_*() functions.
>
> But not that one : do you have an idea of the number of functions
> to patch ?

everyone which calls parse_object_mods()
or I don't understand question
as I said I did it for source of megapov 0.6
and it took about 1 hour and it works

> Moreover I found it counter-productive and dangerous:
> let's say we have a CSG operation (not a union) and
> you modify ONE of the component to tesselate while the
> other components remained unchanged.
> I'm not sure the CSG would still be possible.

sometimes when you translate/rotate/scale component of CSG
rest of CSG dissapeare

> Sincerely, I just like the way the tesselation object was introduced:
> it is a new object. dot.

if you have large definition of object you must
jump over source to tesselate it : "tesselation {" at beginning and "}" at end
when you put this as object modifier you must type only in one place.

But consider that I'm talking about ideal tesselation with inheritance of
parameters such no_image, texture, hollow etc. from base object.

> > > When povray parses an object, it creates internally an object of that
> > > type. A tesselation modifier would have to change that object to a mesh
> > > object.
> >
> > when you tesselate object you do it probably to use it insted of original
object
> > for user there could be no difference - only speed up
>
> No, at least for me: tesselation would also provide a different aspect
>  (the 'polygon'/facet aspect), and that's also interesting.
>  (instead of playing with the normal vector with a complex pattern)

but you still can do it with tesselation as part of object modifiers, just with
this

#declare Object=csg{}
object{ Object }
object{ Object translate x*10 tesselate { 10, 7, 11 ... } }

> > >  I'm not sure if there is any advantage in this either.
> >
> > I know that some peoples don't like such word like "modeller" according to
> > POV-script
> > but in modellers there is taskbar with operations applied to object and
> > rotation, scale and other linear operations are neighbours for
>
> Yes the classical mods,
>
> > twisting,
> > bending, screwing
>
> This is the 'classical' problem with the POV approach: the intersection
> of an object with a curved ray...

But I've resolved this in my putch a little :-)

> The 'twist/bend/screw' cannot be applied to all objects, but you
> could make them to be some new 'object' (?) that would take a
> mesh-like object and some parameters:

What you mean by "cannot" ?
In my patch they can.

> twist { object {my_mesh}, <center.x,center.y,center.z>,<axis.x,axis.y,axis.z>,
>angle... }
> bend { object {my_mesh}, <center.x,center.y,center.z>,...}
> screw { object {my_mesh}, <center.x,center.y,center.z>,<axis.x,axis.y,axis.z>,
> pitch... }
>
> Then when parsing, your 'object' is twisted/bent/screwed by 'simply' applying
> a blind transformation to each vertex of the mesh

This cause a lot of new types of objects.
All this stuff shuld be IMO in object modifiers.

> (beware: you not only have to transform the position of the vertex, but also
> the normal... so the 'simply' is an overstatement).

perhaps you missed some images in p.b.i
just look at topics with word "deform" sended by me

when I twist box, my eyes see twisted box, not another type of object
even if it is triangulated

ABX