POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mesh2 uv_vectors problem : Re: Mesh2 uv_vectors problem Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 uv_vectors problem
From: Rune
Date: 16 Jan 2001 08:54:22
Message: <3a64528e@news.povray.org>
"Nathan Kopp" wrote:
> Basically, what you're asking for is not u/v mapping,
> but rather some type of texture coordinate interpolation,
> where each vertex of a mesh is mapped to a point in 3D
> texture space, and interpolation is used to find the other
> texture coordinates on the surface.

Yes. I don't really care what it would be called, but found it easier to
explain my thoughts if I just called it "UV-mapping". :)

> it probably wouldn't work well for many other objects.
> I'd like it if there'd be a way to make it work for all
> objects, and not just meshes.

What is the problem? That other objects have not 3 but 4 UV coordinates and
having those specified in 3D might cause them sometimes not to be co-planar?

If so, then couldn't it just be required that they're co-planar, and if not,
an error could be made, or the texture could be ignored, or something like
that. Like polygons currently work...

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org