POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: What exactly is.... : Re: What exactly is.... Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What exactly is....
From: Tom Melly
Date: 16 Jan 2001 07:29:30
Message: <3a643eaa$1@news.povray.org>
news:3A6437A2.950441F9@gmx.de...

> Saadat Saeed wrote:
> >
> > What exactly is an isosurface?????

An isosurface is the result of using a function to define a surface. It
essentially has two parts - the function and the threshold.

The simplest isosurface would be x^2, y^2, z^2 threshold 1.

This would produce a sphere, centered at <0,0,0> with a radius of 1 unit.
Why? Well, take the point <0,1,0>. Using our function, we get 0^2 + 1^2 +
0^2 = 1, which would mean that the point <0,1,0> is on the surface of our
isosurface. The same will be true of any vector consisting of 2 zero vals
and one one val (and, needless to say, many other points - eg.
<0,0.707,0.707>  or <0.577, 0.577, 0.577> (approx.;)).

So an isosurface is a shape defined by those points that, when passed to a
function, return the threshold.

An iso-pigment is similiar, but, rather than concentrating on a specific
threshold,  the product of any particular point has a texture assigned to it
by matching the result of the function applied to that particular point to a
texture map.

It should be noted that purists always use threshold 0 - the sphere function
rewritten for threshold 0 would be (x^2, y^2, z^2) + 1