POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OpenGL support idea : Re: OpenGL support idea Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL support idea
From: David C
Date: 15 Jan 2001 21:59:42
Message: <3a63b91e@news.povray.org>
In article <chrishuff-752B67.20502515012001@news.povray.org>, "Chris Huff"
<chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

> That should be easier to write and keep platform independant, too. And
> more likely to get working right... How do you plan on doing different
> camera types? As far as I know,  OpenGL only does perspective and
> orthographic projection. You might have  to issue a warning when another
> type is used and use perspective  projection in those cases...that
> shouldn't be a problem for quick  preview renders.

Well I wasn't thinking of fully supporting all of povray's stuff like
some of the different light types that don't have a native equivelent in
opengl. And then, there's transparency, reflections, refractions,
povray's function-textures, media, imagemaps, and maybe a few more
I havn't thought of.

> Practical reasons: it could make it easier to get camera position/angle
> and general lighting right, but it really would be the job of a
> third-party modeller.

In order to get camera position and angle, there would need to be a way
to output the current values that the camera has which would make opengl
rendering even more different than povray raytracing. I think, if I do
actually start building it, that I'd try to mimic the behavior of native
rendering as much as possible. For me, this is all just talk so far. I'd
love to do it, but I'm not sure I will.