POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects) : Re: Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects) Server Time
20 Aug 2024 02:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 15 Jan 2001 21:46:12
Message: <3a63b5f4$1@news.povray.org>
> Looks nice, though rather painful to model...getting those little
> irregularities is a lot easier in real life. Maybe use a macro to
> randomly adjust size of the reeds and add a little imperfection to the
> overall shape of the basket (the eval_pattern(), eval_pigment(), and
> vwarp() functions of MegaPOV might help here)...if you won't be looking
> at it too closely, you may get away with separate parts for the bottom
> and sides, and reeds that intersect each other, but you might want to
> avoid those shortcuts just for "purist" reasons...

Thanks for the pointers to eval... I'll look them up.

Here is a first cut at weaving.  This is like the bottom of the basket photo
in a few important ways.  I see the splines are rippled, though -- the
individual torii don't exactly line up, I guess.  It's not like other macros
where the component shapes are designed to meet perfectly.  I need a =lot=
of segments to make it smooth (enough), and the rendering slows down right
off the bat, so I suspect the bounding boxes aren't working as well as they
ought to.

--John

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: