POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OpenGL support idea : Re: OpenGL support idea Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL support idea
From: David C
Date: 15 Jan 2001 20:48:34
Message: <3a63a872@news.povray.org>
In article <chrishuff-2E3292.16145515012001@news.povray.org>, "Chris Huff"
<chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

> And what extent of previewing were you thinking of? An immediate preview
>  of each frame and writing those results to the output file, or
> rendering  all frames (without displaying) and displaying them all at
> once? For  stills, a way to move camera and lights around without
> reparsing the  file? (that last one could be really platform/GLUT
> dependant...)

 I have thought about some of these things too. I might have a framerate
problem if I tried to render the animation in real time. There is no fps
option in povray as well, so I wouldn't know the user's desired
framerate. I think definitely that each frame should be rendered and
written to a file. I'm not sure about real time previewing. There is also
the matter of how to get the frame from opengl to a file. I know some
libraries support offscreen rendering, but that again would be platform
dependent. Ah well. Maybe I should play with opengl and get comfortable
with it for a few weeks first.