POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects) : Re: Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects) Server Time
20 Aug 2024 02:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 15 Jan 2001 19:03:19
Message: <3a638fc7$1@news.povray.org>

> No, I don't think so...!  Still, there's no time like the present - my
best
> defence here, as elsewhere, is probably laziness.  That, and the fact that
> the scene was created for a purpose (to illustrate certain features of the
> Spline Macro File in an attractive way) which I think it serves.
>
> For the most accurate results, I could have defined a spline that followed
> the shape of the weft, weaving around each spine of the basket's profile,
> adding semi-random variations for thickness and stiffness, etc.  Instead,
as
> I descried in povray.advanced-users, the entire basket is constructed
using
> just four splines, and the weft using a single circular spline - and I can
> still say I'm happy with the result!

I think the green "imperfections" are just fine, mimicing the seam on real
weaving.  The red marks just look funny.

adding semi-random variations... how can we manage that with your macro?
Iterate the basic shape and peterb a tad?  Use blobs so everything flows
together nicely instead of torii which have to match the spec?

--John