POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OpenGL support idea : Re: OpenGL support idea Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL support idea
From: Ken Cecka
Date: 15 Jan 2001 15:28:32
Message: <3a635d70@news.povray.org>
David,

Have you thought much about how you would handle CSG?  I don't know
anything about Warp's tesselation patch that Chris referred to, but CSG can
be a show-stopper.  Finding an algorithm to generate meshes for arbitrary
CSG combinations is difficult.  Usually you end up with a tradeoff between
speed and accuracy.  For a static OpenGL display, the algorithm doesn't
need to be particularly fast since you only calculate the mesh once, and
then are free to explore your scene with a mobile camera (fun!).  If you
want animation, you need to be able to quickly recalculate CSG meshes
(consider a scene with a difference of two spheres, where one of the
spheres slides from left to right during the animation).

I've actually written a lot of code to solve this exact problem (since I
figured almost any other primitive POV uses will be easy to tesselate), and
have pretty well given up on it, although I still fiddle with it from time
to time.  There are some fundamental problems in the approach I was taking
that I haven't seen a way to solve yet.  I can go into more detail on what
I've tried and some of my conclusions if you're interested.

Ken