POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motion-blur for glows ??? - Icosaedron : Re: Motion-blur for glows ??? - Icosaedron Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion-blur for glows ??? - Icosaedron
From: Scott Hill
Date: 14 Jan 2001 17:10:16
Message: <3a6223c8@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
> In article <3a5a28fb$1@news.povray.org>, "Scott Hill"
> <sco### [at] innocentcom> wrote:
>
> >     How is what I described not an object attribute, and if that is how
it
> > works currently, where's the problem ? (Don't fix what ain't broke.)
>
> Ok, this is how I plan on doing things: "glow {}" will become an
> attribute of objects, like interior or texture, and will make the object
> it is applied to glow. It will not make any other objects glow, and the
> user will be able to override it's shape to something other than the
> object it is applied to(*). When added to a CSG, it will make all
> objects in that CSG glow, but when added to an object in a CSG, only
> that object will glow.

    Ah, right, with you, so far...

> The problem comes when you want to specify glows not attached to
> objects...add one to a CSG, and your whole CSG will glow unless you
> explicitly specify otherwise. So a "glow_object" or "glow_group" will be
> useful...and could be an actual object, easing coding and reducing the
> type of confusion with the current patch(glows are *not* objects). The
> "glow_object" would simply be a glow separated from any object, and a
> "glow_group" would be several glows wrapped in one object to save memory.

    Would POV choke on something like this ?

// Create an 'empty' glow object.
#declare glowObj=
object {
 glow {...}
}

// Union our glow with other non-glowing objects
union {
 object { .... } // non-glowing stuff
 object { glowObj }
}

    If you could fix it to work like that, then it should also be possible
to allow this :

// Union an explicit glow object with non-glowing stuff.
union {
 object { .... } // non-glowing stuff
 object { glow{...} }
}

    Dunno if it's any better like that - it does save adding new keywords to
the language (but, then, is that a bad thing ?) and it also seems more
intuitive to me (but, then, intuitiveness is subjective) - any thoughts ?

--
Scott Hill.
Software Engineer.

*Everything in this message/post is purely IMHO and no-one-else's*