POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mesh2 uv_vectors problem : Re: Mesh2 uv_vectors problem Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 uv_vectors problem
From: Rune
Date: 14 Jan 2001 06:43:08
Message: <3a6190cc@news.povray.org>
"Peter Popov" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
>
> >Why do the UV vectors in mesh2 only accept UV vectors?
> >It may sound like a stupid question put like that, but
> >I really see no reason whatsoever why I can't define my
> >UV-triangles in 3D space. I think it's a great and very
> >annoying limitation.
>
> UV mapping is used to map a 2D texture onto a 3D mesh. I
> know POV textures are 3D and one might want to take
> advantage of that, but tell this to the image-map geek
> types who made up UV mapping ;)

The mesh2 syntax could be changed to accept xyz vectors as well as uv
vectors. I see no reason not to do it.

> Maybe you can use a matrix transform to map the 3D texture
> to the XY plane and then use a UV vector on it... just a
> suggestion.

I originally did "UV-mapping" using matrixes to transform textures for the
individual triangles in a regular mesh, but this required me to remove the
mesh{} block around the triangles, which of course was a great disadvantage,
as the triangles were then not optimised anymore.

So I wanted to use mesh2 instead as it had internal UV-support. I didn't
know it accepted UV-vectors only. Now, if I have to use matrixes again to
get the desired result, I'm back where I started. I have to use a bunch of
unoptimised triangles. Which is not an acceptable solution for me. :(

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org