POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : MegaPov slope-dependent textures : Re: MegaPov slope-dependent textures Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:29:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov slope-dependent textures
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 13 Jan 2001 08:55:15
Message: <3a605e43@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann schrieb in Nachricht <3A6052C4.57639B46@gmx.de>...
>Sounds tricky, if i understand it right it should look like an object
>covered by a thin layer of snow (which would not reach the parts covered
>by overhangs).

Hm yes, I thought the other way round, but that doesn't matter.

>I posted a simple snowing macro some time ago, but it would be slow and
>also modifies the geometry (you could use the object pattern to avoid
>this)

I've found the macro and remember the related image. But if there is another
sulotion, I would prefer not to use trace() for this problem. The Object i'm
thinking of is quite complicate and I would have to call trace more than
once for every "row". Seems quite slow to me (and I never used it before
:-)).

>If your object is an isosurface or another simple mathematical shape, you
>could try to construct a function pattern for that, but it seems quite
>difficult to me.

Well, it's made out of some Isos, but I wouldn't want to try to make one
single function out of them.

>Anyway it would be quite possible to add this as a new internal pattern to
>povray.

If there is no other easy way, that would be quite usefull IMHO.  If it
would be possible to specify a "delay" for the slope dependent texture that
would suffice, I think. There should be a way to specify what should be
delayed (positiv/nagative or no slope), too. But I'm no programmer (at least
not in C), so I'll have to wait and see ....

Thanks,

Marc-Hendrik