POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hogwarts (WIP) (2 pictures) : Re: Hogwarts (WIP) (2 pictures) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hogwarts (WIP) (2 pictures)
From: Robert J Becraft
Date: 12 Jan 2001 22:43:07
Message: <3a5fcecb$1@news.povray.org>
I actually developed these trees very early.  I downloaded an animation off
of AOL that was a walk through a forest.  The trees for that were cones on
cylinders... I made them multi-cones on cone trunks with clear spots in the
texture.  I've played with this texture for 4 years now... still haven't
gotten something I like.

The other problem is the rand function in POV is too regular.  If you create
a set of random objects in a 50x50 area, and look at them from above, they
come out looking like a 50x50 box with mostly evenly placed objects.  I'd
like to have the objects truely randomly placed in the box such that some
areas were denser than others, leaving clearings etc.

Haven't found a way to do this yet.  This would also help when generating
tree-parts or vines for buildings in that the clear spaces would be openings
in the branches or exposed wall sections.

If anyone has a way to get this to happen in POV I'd surely like to have it.

Robert.
aka cas### [at] aolcom