POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Greetings from Arda! (~112kau) : Re: Greetings from Arda! (~112kau) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Greetings from Arda! (~112kau)
From: Andy Cocker
Date: 5 Jan 2001 23:11:35
Message: <3a569af7@news.povray.org>
Hi Tony,

I actually preferred the path as it was in your previous render.. it was my
favourite thing about the image to be honest. Right now it doesn't look
walked on at all.. looks like someone has come along and lifted a line of
turf off, revealing a rich looking topsoil that looks freshly dug.. not at
all compacted as I would expect it to look. I really think you'd got it just
about right in your previous attempt.

 I think the clouds should be 'larger', with fewer little inbetween clouds,
and more importantly they need to really recede into the distance, to help
give a sense of scale.

I'm not sure about the texturing of the rest of the landscape at all... it
just doesn't look detailed enough.. the kind of 'dirtying up' that Gilles
Tran does so well on his images... hinting at complexity rather than trying
to show it in detail. It just looks like you've used CRAND. However, I
honestly wouldn't have a clue as to how to go about it and getting it to
look any better then you have. Maybe moving the sun away from behind the
camera would help to give depth and detail.

Also, I'd sharpen up the ridges on the height_field... it's all a little too
rounded for my tastes. This might help add the necessary complexity.

Hope I haven't seemed too harsh... I'm sure you'll end up with a fine pic...
many of my suggestions/comments are purely down to my own preference.

All the best

Andy Cocker