POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : slope-dependent pattern : Re: slope-dependent pattern Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slope-dependent pattern
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 5 Jan 2001 22:12:01
Message: <3a568d01$1@news.povray.org>
> Does anybody use the advanced features of MegaPov's slope-dependent
pattern?
> Anything that can be done with the advanced features can be replicated
using
> a combination of the simple slope pattern, gradient, and color_maps, using
> pigment_pattern to combine everything.

Here's what I meant:

If I understand how the advanced features work, the "expanded" version using
simple slope, gradient, average, and pigment_pattern would look something
like this:

pigment_pattern{
  average
  color_map{
    [<alt_weight> gradient <alt_vect>
       color_map{[<lo_alt> rgb 0][<hi_alt> rgb 1]]
    [<slope_weight> slope <slope_vect>
       color_map{[<lo_slope> rgb 0][<hi_slope> rgb 1]]
  }
}

I admit this is much longer and more difficult to type.  But if you saw that
in a POV scene file, it would be easy to guess what was going on.  Version 2
of "slope" would look just like that, except lo_alt and lo_slope would both
be zero, and hi_alt and hi_slope would be 1.0.

Note that this would also probably render slightly slower.

-Nathan