POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Material{} in mesh2 ? : Re: Material{} in mesh2 ? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Material{} in mesh2 ?
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 4 Jan 2001 08:06:39
Message: <3a54755e@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

> In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
> wrote:

>> But you can't.  POV only knows to calculate media because it thinks it's
>> leaving an area of one media and entering an area of the other.  There
>> is no way to distinguish between the case you mention and the case of
>> hitting another object completely enclosed in the first object,

> Ah, I see what you mean...it would only work with well-behaved meshes
> that don't have any portion of the surface of other objects in their
> interior...that is a problem.

Is this correct?  For some reason, I don't think it is, or at least it's
over-simplified.  I've had two media objects, one within the other, and
gotten the media of both in the shared region.  It seems that media is only
calcuated at the bounds of the actual object.  Another object inside the
media object doesn't affect this, quite.  But if the object inside is solid,
then the media should stop there, of course.  If it's totally transparent,
we see the media of the surrounding object.  If it's partially transparent,
the media is affected by that surface, but continues the computation for the
interior of the inside object.  Have I got that right?  If so, then I don't
see the problem with intersecting objects.

Geoff