POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "grass_map" (~178kau) : Re: "grass_map" (~178kau) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 12:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "grass_map" (~178kau)
From: Tony[B]
Date: 1 Jan 2001 22:50:27
Message: <3a515003@news.povray.org>
> Great to see you still persisting with this scene Tony.

It's one of the few I've invested so much time into. I really want to see
the final image. :)

> Landscapes must be the
> utimate in difficulty with raytracing.

It's way up there on the difficulty level, yes.

> My criticism is that the
> distant hills are just too rounded and blobby.
> Perhaps something more jaggy and
> mysterious is needed.

As Luke would say: "You ask for the impossible"... Just kidding, but anyway,
this would sort of change my intent. This is supposed to look like an
ancient mountain range, so I think it would be "rounded and blobby" as you
say. Also, I want this to be a happy part of the world (Sauron-free <g>). If
I were to make parts of it "jaggy and mysterious", it would look evil/cold
(as I intended, in the beginning before changing my mind), and we wouldn't
want that now.

> BTW, like the grass :-)

Congratulate Gilles Tran for that, I just added trace() and better bounding
(limiting the growth to a specific area, with the "grass_map").