POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : something I'm toying with 358kbu : Re: something I'm toying with 358kbu Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: something I'm toying with 358kbu
From: Data
Date: 31 Dec 2000 21:27:46
Message: <3a4feb22@news.povray.org>
"Lance Birch" <-> wrote in message news:3a4fe071@news.povray.org...
> Dearmad wrote:
> > I don't understand why it's so slow?  Or is that about the normal speed
> > for the tracer you're using?  Do you have a huge load of IOR going on or
> > something?  The ring is surrounded by blackness so it isn't reflecting
> > other refracting objects and for only 90 frames... What sort of
> > primitives or math did you use in the source file?  Are you
> > multi-tasking heavily?
> >
> > I'm not accusing you or anything of foul play here... ;o)  but I'm
> > really curious.
>
> I think it's just because he's using a *Cyrix*, which aren't very fast
when
> it comes to doing the processing needed for raytracing.

Nail on the head. Cyrix FPUs aren't the best around. From what I've read,
even when they were new they were bottom of the ladder. Strictly business
CPUs, I'm afraid. Pity I didn't know that until after we'd forked out
AU$2000 for this thing in 98. But if I can scrounge up a K6II I won't need a
new motherboard, at least