POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : windows editor with MegaPov : Re: windows editor with MegaPov Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: windows editor with MegaPov
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 21 Dec 2000 10:37:16
Message: <3a4223ac@news.povray.org>
Mark Wagner <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:

> Jonathan Rafael Ghiglia wrote in message
> <3a411423.9516438@news.povray.org>...
>>The  "Pixel Per Second" (PPS) counter of the editor doesn't seem to
>>work properly with MegaPov, especially with images that take for ever
>>to render (it remains fixed at 0 PPS). I know that the editor is
>>(obviously) not meant to work with MegaPov... I was just asking to
>>myself what could be the reason.

> Under POV-Ray for Windows 3.1g, the PPS counter is the PPS rate for the
> whole image up to this point.  This means, for example, that if the first
> part of your image renders quickly, while the rest renders slowly, the PPS
> value will be too high.

> With MegaPOV, I've found that the PPS counter does not update very
> frequently.

Or even at all.  Sometimes I get the PPS rating, and others I don't, and I
haven't found out why it does it.  And no, it's not the image speed, because
the image can be going at a good clip and still show 0.  However, whenever
it actually displays a number, it's always pretty close to right.

I don't know that a last pixel pps is useful, becasue it would have to be
updating (wasting a lot of resources) an awful lot.  A last line could be,
though.