POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Macros, includes and memory management : Macros, includes and memory management Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Macros, includes and memory management
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 19 Dec 2000 07:46:23
Message: <3a3f589f@news.povray.org>
Well, I've run up against a problem.  In Megapov, you can't define macros
within macros, which doesn't seem to be a big deal, except for what I'm
trying to do.  See, I've written a general engine for doing certain kinds of
manipulations.  To make it general, I define several macros that the engine
calls, thus allowing me to change the macros externally.  However, now I
want to use the engine inside a macro.  Oops!  I can't define the
appropriate bits, because they're macros, and you can't define macros within
macros.  So I have to define them externally to the macro which uses them.
However, I have several macros, each with different parameterizations, and
they're called from a different file.  Now that file has to define a whole
bunch of stuff before calling the appropriate macro.  Not exactly useful
behavior.

Now, these macros simply calculate floating point numbers.  I considered
using functions, but that didn't work as I could not evaluate the functions
at the points I wanted.  One macro evaluates to a material/texture, but I
can forgive that one being a little odd if I could get the others to work.

So, any of you Megapov gurus got any ideas?  I this this is an unsolveable
limitation in the program, but maybe someone else has found a way around it.
Is there any way to turn off the memory management feature that limits the
macro declarations, maybe?  It wouldn't be ideal, but it would work.

Thoughts?

Geoff