POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : installing XEmacs' pov-mode on a DebianSystem??? : installing XEmacs' pov-mode on a DebianSystem??? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  installing XEmacs' pov-mode on a DebianSystem???
From: Kenny Doberenz
Date: 13 Dec 2000 10:29:21
Message: <3a3795d1$1@news.povray.org>
!  ..oo00LLaH

i use Debian Linux2.2 (potato) and i would like to use XEmacs for editing my
pov-files. so i downloaded the lisp-file that was mentioned on this ng from
http://www.acc.umu.se/~woormie/povray.
i followed the installation instructions but XEmacs does not notice any
change. is there something special about Debian or what did i wrong? i read
something about a *new* package-system in /usr/doc/XEmacs but i understood
nothing at all (i don't know nothing about internals of Emacs and lisp). so
here's what i did:
i found a file, named pov-mode2.el, copied it at first into
/usr/local/lib/xemacs/site-lisp (which is definitely in my load-path) ->
nothing happens (M-x pov[TAB] found nothing, in my customization-menu is
nothing about the new language). i byte-compiled it with M-x
byte-compile-file (sucessfull!) but Emacs (even after restarting) still
doesn't recognize this.
i copied the pove-mode2.elc in some other directorys in my load-path, but
guess..!

Emacs' docu tells a lot about installing new *packages* (with auto-load, i
didn't understood it..), but nothing about how to install a single *.elc.
anybody out there, who can help an Emacs-dummy? Thx!
_
* Kenny