POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First preview of tesselation patch : Re: First preview of tesselation patch Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First preview of tesselation patch
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 13 Dec 2000 10:19:08
Message: <3a37936c@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote in message <3a378a72@news.povray.org>...
> I have been working on a tesselation patch for POV-Ray. My intention is also
> to make a mesh data extraction patch (else the tesselation patch would be
> pretty useless).

interesting, I though of it either
if my deform patch could speed-up for meshes by manipulate vertex
during parsing instead of deforming ray during trace
both could make great fast things

> You can tesselate any object with a finite bounding box with it. The
> syntax is:
>
> tesselate(Object, Accuracy, Smooth, BBox_Offset)

I want change my deform patch to object modifier and I advice it you too
this will be simpler for user. I want change Parse_Object_Mod to return Object
pointer
which replace original pointer for every calling, this way:

object{
  box{-1 1}
  rotate 30*x
  translate y*10
  deform{ twist y, 8 }
  translate 10*x
  tesselate 10,10
}

inside of povray source this could be parsed by changed parse_object_mod as:
tesselatation {
  deformation {
    object{
      box{-1 1}
      rotate 30*x
      translate y*10
    }
    deform { twist y, 8 }
    translate 10*x
  }
  tesselate 10,10
}

after finishing parse_object_mod() should return new pointer to object which
replace original one

> with the last two parameters being optional.

why you did it as function ?

> The function returns a regular mesh object which can be used anywhere a
> mesh object can be used.
> With the other patch you will also be able to extract the data
> (vertices, triangles, normals...) from the mesh (from any mesh, not just
> the ones created with the tesselation function).

great

>  This is an example of the very first working version of the patch (that
> is, it doesn't crash ;) ).

congratulations :)

ABX