POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Richard Dault
Date: 13 Dec 2000 09:30:00
Message: <3a3787e8$1@news.povray.org>
> > That's because people programming in Windows need more help.  :)
> > Just kidding... It's because of all the extra APIs that Windows
introduces
> > that are non-standard or proprietary including multimedia APIs,
registry,

> hmmm... curses, ncurses, tkl, gkl, qt, Athena Widgets, Motif widgets...
> you can't say that Microsoft is the only company (or organism) that
> write their own classes..

True, but all the packages you mentioned are typically not written by the
company who wrote the OS.  Not to mention that they are typically available
from multiple vendors (and usually even have a GNU version).
BTW, I wasn't bashing Microsoft here, I was just pointing out that there is
much more available with the OS which some authors try to combine into one
book.  But instead, people should learn C++ first, then learn about specific
APIs such as MFC.

> > etc....  This is good and bad at the same time.  Good because developers
> > don't have to re-invent the wheel everytime they start a new program.
Bad
> > because it's proprietary and changes from release to release.
> > If you want to learn C++ on another platform (say Mac, Unix, or
whatever),
> > you would look for a book on C++, not C++ for XXX.
>
> If I wanted to learn C++, I'd buy a C++ book.  If I want to learn about
> the Microsoft Foundation Classes, I'd buy a book about those.  The same
> goes for X.

Yup, exaclty my point.

> > "Windows... Brought to you by the makers of EDLIN".
>
> And your point is?

No point.  I read that somewhere a long time ago and found it funny.  Edlin
is one of the funniest editors written and is still distributed with all
versions of Windows.  I wonder why?  I really don't think anyone uses it
anymore (or ever has!).