POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Richard Dault
Date: 12 Dec 2000 14:33:17
Message: <3a367d7d$1@news.povray.org>
>     Well, considering the comments in some of my programming classes many
> people want to learn C++ so that "I can write programs for Windows"

It's a shame that people associate languages with OSes.  C++ is available on
almost all OSes.

> looking
> at the programming shelves of book stores, while there are more books for
> using linux than there used to be, most of the programming books are
> programming for Windows.

That's because people programming in Windows need more help.  :)
Just kidding... It's because of all the extra APIs that Windows introduces
that are non-standard or proprietary including multimedia APIs, registry,
etc....  This is good and bad at the same time.  Good because developers
don't have to re-invent the wheel everytime they start a new program.  Bad
because it's proprietary and changes from release to release.
If you want to learn C++ on another platform (say Mac, Unix, or whatever),
you would look for a book on C++, not C++ for XXX.

> Most of the programs I have are for Windows only,

Probably true.  Even Java programs written on Windows are for Windows only.
;)

"Windows... Brought to you by the makers of EDLIN".