POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu) : Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu)
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 12 Dec 2000 09:50:49
Message: <3a363b49@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote in message <3A3537D9.67ED545C@gmx.de>...
> Probably Chris Huff's idea of using warps is even more universal.

but as I answer to Chris main part of my concept is using "bi-directional"
deformation and if warps support it this could be possible
but I'm affraid it is imposible

> > I try to not annoying with new keywords
> > current are wrong ? please tell me
>
> I didn't mean the general keywords but the ones specific for the different
> types.  Each new type will introduce a new keyword although most of them
> are probably only simple mathematical functions.

no, they aren't simple, only twister is simply
is this simple to calculate x from (A*x-B)(cosx-sinx)=C ?

> BTW, i'm curious how you want to deform something according to a spline,
> since it only supplies some local geometric information (i.e. the shape of
> a line) while it would need some deformation function for the whole space.

this is misunderstanding
you think that I want function for whole space but I don't want
I want container for base space and deform function
with this I can describe space of deformed object and bound it
during trace I can recognize steps inside deformed container and undeform

are you curious about placing along spline ?
just like 2d drawing software puts text on curve
I'm not sure if it is possible but perhaps this is beginning:

1. get spline (begin at t=0 and end at t=1)
2. generate function for normal N=f(t) where t is beetween 0 and 1
3. generate function for point P=f(t) where t is beetween 0 and 1
4. generate equation for plane at point P(t) and with normal N(t)
5. resolve equation to find (perhaps derivative of sth) plane
    with minimal distance beetween my point and P(t)
6. calculate t for achived plane

looks this possible ?

ABX