POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu) : Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu)
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 12 Dec 2000 06:38:59
Message: <3a360e53$1@news.povray.org>

> > NORMAL_WEIGHTED - determine method of averaging normal - more in thread
"should
> > be normals weighted" at p.a-u
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler (and faster) to take the normal of the
> undeformed object and apply the transformation to it?

deform begining and end of normal and calculate returned direction ?
this is wrong method
sure, at first I thought of it but this not works with deformations
why ?
look on top surface of deformed box from begining of this thread
this is flat before and after deformation
and normal is parallel to axis of deformation
but imagine normal before deformation
normal's end_point twist just like other points and after deformation
normal is not parallel to axis of deformation
and smaller normal not help, direction is direction

explain more ?

ABX